I moved to Small Town, USA a week ago. After moving and organizing all of my belongings into a rather spacious house,* I decided to accompany another new teacher and her friends to a local drinking establishment. Up till then, I had met some nice people** and had even been hit on.*** I knew I was going to get along just fine with my group when I was promptly handed a Bud Light tall boy. I also proceeded to make other new friends, who, of course, were from Small College Town, USA****. Though the night was entertaining and relaxing, I didn't want to appear clingy, so I opted to let my local friends call/text me the following night. I did receive a text, but not until 1:30 AM, after a couple hours of sleep and a Tylenol PM. (Who knew it would take less than a week for me to become a grownup?!)
After a weekend of lesson planning, tall boys, and Netflix, I decided to venture over to the high school. Being that my only other visit was for my job-winning interview, I was a little more relaxed. I even made friends with the secretary, a custodian, and the athletic director. The principal walked me to my classroom and I could just imagine what it looked like: spacious and clean, with plenty of storage space.
Boy, was I wrong.
Unfortunately my hopes and dreams were not realized. Because I am the only first-year English teacher with no ties to the school or community, I think they opted to give me the Language Arts storage room. I walked in to find hundreds of books piled on the cluttered desks; my bookshelves filled with class sets of books (this would be a dream, IF they were in my curriculum); and '70s posters similar to this:
After spending about two hours piling books into a closed, metal bookshelf (in a semi-organized manner,) I called it quits. Looks like a busy week ahead.
* Perfectly equipped with hiding places for masked horror movie killers
** Mainly store clerks and insurance agents
*** By 60+ year-old men, future students, and the occasional honk/whistle from various drivers
**** Way far away from Small Town, USA, of course!
Love always,
E

No comments:
Post a Comment