(All names have been changed.)

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Don't mess with Ms. B

Today was the first day of school with all students, meaning I got to meet my sophomores, juniors, and seniors. Things were going well until study hall. While going over the study hall expectations, a student (we'll call him Buddy) proceeded to get out his iPod and cell phone. I used this as an example for the rest of the class that iPods are an earned privilege, not a given right, and that cell phones were allowed in the hallway during passing period - never in the classroom. Buddy was very cooperative and put his electronics away*. Though he refused to participate in class activities, I decided to ignore him and talk to him later. Later came and I dismissed the other students to talk amongst themselves. Buddy, of course, took this as an opportunity to whip out his cell phone and iPod. When I went over to discuss his behavior, he put his cell phone away and put his headphones in his ears.

I was fine until that point.

I decided that he had a one-way ticket to the office. I've never sent a kid to the office, but blatant disrespect is, in my books, a much-worthy reason.

Don't mess with Ms. B.

* While cursing me under his breath.

Love always,
E

1 comment:

  1. I love hearing the laying down the law teacher stories. Sarah had a 1st grader who kept throwing his snack-time carrots on the floor, so after snack-time she made him eat like 5 carrots while everyone else waited for him so that they could continue. Ha!

    ReplyDelete