...or maybe she's just a normal teenager.
After last week's temper tantrum and near-refusal to take a quiz, Sally is suddenly respectful, kind, and courteous. She even asked me if I could transfer her into my study hall. I'm absolutely perplexed, yet pleased. It makes me happy that a student who, despite our differences, wants to spend two class periods with me. I told her that I am willing to write her a pass to come into my study hall whenever she pleases. I, however, neglected to tell her that I don't want her in my study hall at all times, simply because I don't want to deal with the mood swings twice in one day.
Cece, the other student who hated me last week, has since apologized for her behavior and has even thanked me. She told me that she appreciates all I've done for her and is no longer feeling depressed. In the email, she told me that through talking to me, she has become happier. Yay!!
Last Thursday (the day the student's death was announced to the school,) I had all of my classes do a free-write. This was a chance for them to reflect on what happened, write down their thoughts in general, write poetry, whatever - as long as they were writing. I collect journals every so often (at least in my freshmen class) and tell them that if they don't want me to read it, they should simply write that across the top. For my upperclassmen, I never collect journals - especially free-writes. Mary, one of my seniors, asked to go to the library for counseling after finishing her free-write. Before leaving, she handed me her journal entry. At first, I thought I hadn't explained the directions that they didn't have to turn them in, but when I read it, I saw that there were questions for me to answer. We have since been writing back and forth. In one of her notes, she wrote that I am in her top 5 favorite teachers of all-time. That was just what I needed.
Another positive note: Larry, one of my "reluctant" learners is currently sitting at a 44% because he hasn't turned in a number of large assignments. When I first approached him about this, he said that he didn't do them because he "didn't like them." He has since taken to skipping class. I made the dreaded parent contact home and just got a response. His mom requested that I send her the assignments via email so she can stay on top of it. Parental involvement is awesome!
Cross your fingers that my week continues to go well!
Love always,
E.
No comments:
Post a Comment